From The Land Connection
Comprehensive Farmland Access Workshop and Field Day
Need to know more about farmland access options and the nitty gritty of buying or leasing land?
We have a great line-up of professionals who will answer your questions, and help you learn more about many aspects of farmland access. Our experts include:
- Terra Brockman, The Land Connection, will discuss the pros and cons of owning and leasing land, and provide examples of creative sustainable lease, rolling lease, and long-term lease options.
- Deborah Clairmont, USDA/Natural Resources Conservation Service District Soil Conservationist, will talk about soil types and answer your soil quality questions.
- Attorneys Dan Deneen and John Pratt will address your questions on various legal issues including zoning, flood plain, and other concerns
- Lance White, loan officer of the State Bank of Lincoln, will answer your questions about farm financing costs and options, and how to establish a working relationship with a bank loan officer
- Dale Aupperle, President of the Heartland Ag Group, Ltd., and member of the Illinois Society of Professional Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers, will answer your questions about land values and trends
- Darryl Coates, Illinois Department of Natural Resources, will speak about conservation programs and resources. He will also answer your questions about wildlife habitat.
- Deborah Cavanaugh-Grant, Local Food and Small Farms specialist with the U of I Extension, will answer questions about putting small acreages to work, and about how to access and use soil maps and platte maps
Following the above presentations and Q/A, Eric Marshall will take anyone who’s interested on a tour of Homestead Harvest LLC’s grass-fed beef and apple enterprises, highlighting his rain harvesting and the prairie and wildlife habitat he has established.
Come get all your farmland questions answered!
There is no charge for Central Illinois Sustainable Farming Network (CISFN) members; $5 for non-members.