The American Farmland Trust (AFT) is a pioneer in organizing planned donation of land for agricultural preservation. Their Forever Farmland Society (FFS) offers a way for farm-owners to include AFT in their estate planning.
Members of the FFS enjoy networking benefits and connection with the next generation of farmers through AFT events and publications.
Many farm-owners and land trusts across the country implement similar succession plans to secure the future of agricultural land.
Some Resources for Succession Planning:
- Farm Succession Guidebook – (Comprehensive guidebook developed by CA Farm Link, Center for Land-Based Learning, and University of California Cooperative Extension)
- Components of a Farm Succession Plan (Ontario Ministry of Agriculture)
- Transferring Your Farm or Ranch to the Next Generation (Montana State University)
- Farm Transfers in Wisconsin: A Guide for Farmers (Wisconsin DOA)
- Transfer Planning Resource Library (Factsheets and worksheets from PA Farm Link)
- Business Transfer Guide for the Senior Generation (NY Farm Link)
- Business Transfer Guide for the Junior Generation (NY Farm Link)
- Farmland Transfer and Protection in New England (NESFI)